COLONIAL HEIGHTS, Va. (WRIC) — Vigils were held Sunday in Central Virginia to bring attention to the murder of 5-year-old Cannon Hinnant who was shot in the head while riding his bike exactly a week ago in Wilson, North Carolina.
People gathered outside of the Colonial Heights Police Station today to pay their respects to Cannon.
The vigil was organized by Kevin Paul, a prison fellowship pastor. Paul says he wants to use this opportunity to highlight just how many kids go missing or have lost their lives to violence in the area and encourage parents to protect their own children.
“I hope it brings an open eye to parents today to keep an eye on their children. We are all one, we are all Americans, we need to come together and work on this,” Paul said.
There was another vigil in memory of Cannon Hinnant at the Powhatan Courthouse Sunday at 7 p.m.
- COVID-19 in NC: Fewest new cases in 3 months; hospitalizations fall below 1,900
- Man dies after falling from hot air balloon onto passing car below
- La Niña Forms: What this means for North Carolina’s winter
- Fort Bragg career summit aims to help service members transition to civilian life
- Israeli scuba diver discovers 900-year-old Crusader sword