HICKORY GROVE, S.C. (WSPA) – A woman has been flown to a hospital after she was attacked by a dog in rural York County.
The York County Sheriff’s Office said the attack happened Saturday at a home on Sawmill Road near Hickory Grove.
The 71-year-old victim was flown to a hospital in Charlotte for her injuries.
The dog, a pit bull terrier, was seized by York County animal control.
Investigators said the woman was a family member who was at the home tending to several dogs for their owner when one got loose and attacked.
The sheriff’s office said they found 14 dogs in the home and evidence of several violations including dogs which were improperly restrained, aggressive, and lacking adequate food, water, and shelter.
Deputies said they are investigating the possibility that the dogs were used for fighting.
“This incident speaks to the viciousness and violent nature of raising animals for the purpose of fighting and unfortunately caused very serious and unnecessary harm to an innocent and unintended victim,” said York County Sheriff Kevin Tolson. “This activity is cruel, unnecessary and criminal.”
There’s no word on the victim’s condition.
The sheriff’s office continues to investigate the case.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Photo shows baby girl glaring at doctors in epic stare-down moments after her birth
- IHOP giving away free pancakes for National Pancake Day
- No prison time for dentist, wife accused of locking child in cage
- Country music star Luke Combs making 2-day stop to perform at PNC Arena
- Trump again predicts coronavirus is ‘going to go away’ despite mounting concerns
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now