RICHMOND, Va. (AP) – Virginia voters have awarded the state’s 13 electoral votes to Democrat Joe Biden and returned Democrat Mark Warner to a third term in the U.S. Senate.
Tuesday’s election will determine the staying power of a “blue wave” that flipped two competitive congressional districts in the state two years ago.
Virginia’s election features three competitive House races, including two seats that were flipped from red to blue in 2018.
Biden beat President Donald Trump; it’s the fourth straight presidential race in which Virginia selected a Democrat.
Warner was declared the winner against a little-known Republican challenger, Daniel Gade, shortly after polls closed at 7 p.m.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NC State football looks for first home win over Georgia Tech since 2000
- CBS 17 Job Alert – Target and Bass Pro Shops are hiring
- COVID-19 in NC: Daily percent positive hits 9.5%; hospitalizations set record
- 20-year-old Durham man shot to death while driving leading to crash that injured 5, police say
- The best Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart, Amazon, Target