RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Democrat Kathy Manning has won an open U.S. House seat in North Carolina over Republican Joseph Lee Haywood.
Manning had been favored to win in the state’s 6th Congressional District after a court ordered the state to redraw its congressional map ahead of the 2020 election.
The district includes Chatham and Lee counties.
Republican Rep. Mark Walker did not seek reelection after the order.
The pickup by Manning in the area that borders Virginia furthers Democrats’ goal of retaining their majority in the U.S. House of Representatives.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Wake Forest offering service for Santa Claus to call children
- 3-day ticket blitz, 130 $100 citations for going maskless
- Group hosts celebration of life for Evelyn Boswell, whose mom is charged in her death
- Airlines hope proven cleaning techniques will bring passengers back to flying
- Possibly impaired driver smashes car into Raleigh flower shop, police say