CINCINNATI (AP) — The winless Bengals benched Andy Dalton heading into their bye week, ending his nine-season run as starter so they can start developing rookie Ryan Finley as his potential long-term replacement.
The move came two days after a 24-10 loss to the Rams in London left Cincinnati 0-8 for the first time in 11 years. It’s the first significant roster change under first-year coach Zac Taylor.
Dalton led the Bengals to five straight playoff appearances from 2011-15 but couldn’t get that elusive postseason win. He has one more year left on his contract, and owner Mike Brown said before the start of the season that how well he performed would determine his future.
Finley, a fourth-round pick, confirmed he’ll start against the Ravens in Week 10.
- Man charged after NC homeowner foils break-in; suspect accused of stealing car with kid inside
- NC man pleads guilty in young woman’s fentanyl-related death
- Man who killed NC woman in stabbing is held without bond, deputies say
- Teen shooter in birthday attack dies after 2 classmates killed, 3 wounded, police say
- New plans allows patients to see medical prices before treatment, Trump says
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now