MELBOURNE BEACH, Fla. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – Beachgoers in Florida got quite the sight this week when an endangered sea turtle was spotted in the early morning hours nesting.
“What an incredible morning. I am still shaking! I get a text, I call back and ask ‘Is she still there? Where?’ Answers were provided. I was still in my pajamas, grabbed my camera, license, and ran to the car,” Shelley Michel shared on social media.
The 800-pound leatherback sea turtle was nesting in the daytime to the delight of a handful of people who got to see her.
“We did witness her returning to the ocean and I just cannot thank Jimmy enough for a dream come true. Best part, we got to experience it together!” Michel wrote.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Owner speaks out after COVID-19 cluster detected at Franklin County day care
- Sheriff: 3 charged in one of the ‘worst’ child abuse cases ever in Louisiana parish
- Fired Tennessee trooper accused of illegally taking video, photos of female in shower
- Squirrel tests positive for bubonic plague in Colorado
- Family speaks out after NC mom is killed, suspects appear in court
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now