MELBOURNE BEACH, Fla. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – Beachgoers in Florida got quite the sight this week when an endangered sea turtle was spotted in the early morning hours nesting.
“What an incredible morning. I am still shaking! I get a text, I call back and ask ‘Is she still there? Where?’ Answers were provided. I was still in my pajamas, grabbed my camera, license, and ran to the car,” Shelley Michel shared on social media.
The 800-pound leatherback sea turtle was nesting in the daytime to the delight of a handful of people who got to see her.
“We did witness her returning to the ocean and I just cannot thank Jimmy enough for a dream come true. Best part, we got to experience it together!” Michel wrote.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Parents call on Cumberland County schools to rescind decision to continue virtual learning
- Man hurt in drive-by shooting in Durham, police say
- 2 officers shot in Louisville ‘expected to recover’, suspect in custody
- President Trump, GOP AGs accuse social media companies of silencing conservatives
- 3 arrested after man run over, killed by own van while trying to stop vehicle theft in California
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now