MAGGIE VALLEY, N.C. (AP/WNCN) – An elk is running around western North Carolina with a shredded hammock on its head, and apparently a love of apples is to blame.
News outlets report Jim Beaver told the Haywood County Sheriff’s Office on Thanksgiving that an elk was stuck in his yard with its antlers tangled up in a hammock.
The sheriff’s office on Facebook says Cpl. Ken Stiles climbed onto the roof of a home on Windswept Way in Maggie Valley.
Stiles then cut the hammock and freed the animal.
Beaver says elks often eat apples in his yard and play with his hammock.
This elk, however, was too playful.
Beaver says he didn’t free the elk himself, in case it decided to attack. He told WLOS-TV that the elk, with pieces of the hammock still in its antlers, has returned to the house a few times.
- Stranger helps save shooting victim in Greensboro
- 21 Savage launches free online financial program for youth
- Mix up an immunity-boosting cocktail perfect for summer, recipe
- Herman Cain treated for COVID-19 after attending Trump rally
- Thursday, July 2nd : Try this immune-boosting summer cocktail recipe
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now