SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. (WTEN) — If you’re strolling around Saratoga Springs, New York, don’t be surprised if you see police horses sporting some protective gear.
Out of an abundance of caution, horses in the Mounted Patrol Unit have been outfitted with face shields.
According to a Facebook post by Saratoga Springs Public Safety, the horses are instrumental in crowd control – meaning they have a lot of contact with the public.
Recent protests turning aggressive have also become a safety issue, which raised the need for the masks, according to the department.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Man arrested after trying to enter DC security checkpoint with loaded gun, fake inauguration credentials, documents say
- Dancing trucker turns up at inauguration protest to promote peace
- Small numbers of protesters gather at fortified US capitols
- Two teens fatally shoot each other in Louisiana
- Families, activists hold protest demanding Durham Housing Authority fix problems