LEAGUE CITY, Texas – A Texas dad jumped into action to save his 4-year-old daughter when he saw a large alligator coming for her.
Andrew Grande, of League City, said his kids were playing near a canal in late July when the gator quickly approached.
“When I first saw him, the only thing I was thinking of was just getting my daughter, just getting her out of the way,” he told CNN. “What his intentions were, I’m not 100% sure, but I wasn’t going to find out.”
The 40-year-old insurance agent told the Houston Chronicle the gator was within 3 feet of his daughter when he grabbed his child and got everyone behind a fence.
He said the huge reptile then loomed nearby for nearly 30 minutes.
Authorities responded, and it took a team of people to pull the gator from the canal.
Grande said it was nearly 12 feet long and weighed close to 600 pounds.
He said gators frequent the canal, but this was by far the biggest he’d ever seen.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- ‘Absurd’: $1B earmarked for PPE spent on body armor, jet parts
- Florida traffic stop leads to seizure of enough fentanyl to kill nearly 40k people
- Colony of wild monkeys living among human population in South Florida city
- Villagers re-elect mayor despite his death from COVID-19
- City of Cleveland prepares to host first presidential debate of 2020
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now