RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – The Carolina Hurricanes announced Wednesday they signed 2019 first-round draft choice Ryan Suzuki to a three-year entry-level contract.
The deal pays Suzuki $832,500 at the NHL level and $70,000 at the AHL level. He will also receive a signing bonus of $277,500.
The 18-year-old forward was drafted 28th overall in the summer. He had 25 goals and 50 assists in 65 games this past season with the Barie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League.
“Ryan is a skilled center with strong playmaking ability,” said general manager Don Waddell. “He’s an exciting young player, and we believe he has a bright future in the NHL.”
Suzuki represented Canada at the 2018 Hlinka Gretzky Cup and won gold. He also played for Canada at the 2019 IIHF U18 World Championships.
Suzuki slotted in at center in Carolina’s preseason opener, which was a 3-0 win in Tampa Bay. He played 15:38, including more than three minutes on the power play.
The Hurricanes host the Lightning Wednesday for their first home game of the preseason. They’ll welcome Montreal on Oct. 3 for their season opener.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Inspectors checking ‘every nut, bolt, fastener or screw’ on NC State Fair rides
- 12 Democrats meet for first debate since impeachment inquiry
- Dutch family of 7 waiting for ‘the end of time’ discovered living in farmhouse basement
- Wake County reports most coyote sightings in North Carolina
- Fail foliage expected to peak for some North Carolina mountains this weekend
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now