CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) – Javonte Williams ran for three fourth-quarter touchdowns and No. 18 North Carolina overcame a mistake-filled performance to beat Syracuse 31-6 on Saturday in the season opener for both teams.
Michael Carter added 138 yards of total offense for the Tar Heels, who won in an empty home stadium after the school opted to open with no fans in attendance due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Williams’ three touchdown runs in the fourth quarter helped UNC blow the game open after leading just 10-6 entering the fourth.
Tommy DeVito threw for 112 yards but took seven sacks for the Orange, who had 202 total yards.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 12 witnesses say cops didn’t ID themselves in Breonna Taylor raid, attorneys say
- Viral video shows woman tased at Ohio middle school for not wearing mask, forcibly removed from game
- Extra time off giving Tar Heels chance to hit restart button on season
- Video captures officer rolling bicycle over Seattle protester’s head during Breonna Taylor demonstrations
- Durham mayor says white anarchists took over racial justice protest, causing damage to businesses