WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) – Walk-on freshman safety Nick Anderson had three interceptions, Christian Beal-Smith ran for 129 yards and Nick Sciba kicked three field goals to help Wake Forest beat No. 19 Virginia Tech 23-16 on Saturday.
Anderson stopped two deep Hokies drives and the third ended their final possession.
Wake Forest quarterback Sam Hartman threw only 17 times, completing 12 for 110 yards.
But he scrambled 9 yards for the game’s first score.
Hendon Hooker threw for 223 yards and ran for another 98 for the Hokies.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- ATF offers $5,000 reward for information on man wanted for shooting Durham County deputy
- NC State football set to honor small senior class on Saturday
- Dr. Cohen: No COVID-19 virus in vaccine for the disease
- Politicians eat their words after dining out, taking trips during pandemic
- COVID-19 vaccination cards will be issued, health officials say