RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – A 53-yard field goal at the beginning of the fourth quarter put North Carolina State ahead of No. 11 Miami by 10, but the Hurricanes stormed back with 13 unanswered points to knock off the Wolfpack Friday night, 44-41.
Jose Borregales nailed consecutive field goals before D’Eriq King and Mike Harley connected for a 53-yard touchdown in the final three minutes. The Wolfpack had time to answer, but DJ Ivey picked off Bailey Hockman on the first play of what was N.C. State’s final drive.
King dominated on the ground and in the air. He completed 31-of-41 passes for 430 yards and five touchdowns and ran for another 105 yards. Four of his targets had at least 70 yards receiving against the Wolfpack secondary.
Hockman threw for three touchdowns — all in the first half — and 248 yards.
Friday marked N.C. State’s second loss in a row after winning four of its first five outings this season.
More ACC coverage
- Is 2020 Dave Doeren’s best coaching job while at NC State?
- Pandemic offers NC State seniors a chance to come back for an extra season
- Notre Dame secures berth in ACC Football Championship Game; Clemson, Miami vie for other spot
- Sun Bowl becomes 4th ACC tie-in bowl to cancel over COVID-19 pandemic
- Jeff Sims’ 3 TD passes powers Georgia Tech past Duke, 56-33