RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – On the heels of canceling the men’s basketball tournament, the Atlantic Coast Conference has suspended all athletic events until further notice.
This includes all competition, formal and organized practice, recruiting and participation in NCAA championships.
“This is uncharted territory and the health and safety of our student-athletes and institutions remains our top priority. This decision is aimed to protect from the further spread of COVID-19,” Commissioner John Swofford said.
Duke and UVa had previously announced the schools were suspending their athletic events.
More COVID-19 headlines:
- Raleigh medical experts developing 3-in-1 test to detect flu, COVID-19
- COVID-19 outbreak identified at Raleigh assisted living facility
- Second study testing a COVID-19 antibody drug reports setback
- California county confirms first flu and COVID-19 co-infection
- As virus surges, Trump rallies keep packing in thousands