GENEVA (AP) — Breakdancing has been confirmed as an official Olympic sport.
The International Olympic Committee’s pursuit of urban events to lure a younger audience saw street dance battles officially added to the medal events program at the 2024 Paris Games.
The IOC executive board also confirmed skateboarding, sport climbing and surfing for Paris.
Those three sports will make their Olympic debuts at the Tokyo Games which were postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Tokyo opening ceremony is July 23, 2021.
Paris organizers need time to prepare and so the IOC kept its schedule to confirm the 2024 sports this month.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- National Rife Association files for bankruptcy
- Wake County hoping to learn from issues elsewhere when it begins vaccinations for seniors, health care workers
- Post Malone teams up with charity to give away 10,000 pairs of Crocs to healthcare workers
- Macaulay Culkin backs call to remove Donald Trump from ‘Home Alone 2’
- Warning issued about several active scams related to COVID-19 vaccine