RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Carolina Hurricanes forward Erik Haula and his wife Kristen announced Wednesday that they lost their unborn child.
“At our ultrasound on Monday our sweet baby girl had lost her strong heartbeat,” Kristen Haula wrote on Instagram.
“Mommy and Daddy know she is being taken care of in heaven,” she continued.
The couple announced the pregnancy in early November.
“While it may be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel on some days going forward, and some may be harder than others to understand why this happened, the complete joy & excitement she has brought to us and those who love her will be with us forever,” the post said.
The Hurricanes acquired Erik Haula from the Golden Knights during the offseason. He has played just 21 games this season due to a nagging knee injury. He missed all but 15 games last year with a knee injury, as well.
Haula’s offensive production has still been strong with 11 goals and 17 points in those 21 outings.
Carolina hosts Washington on Friday.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- At least five displaced, one injured in Durham boarding house fire
- Track coach remembers NC teen killed in hit-and-run as star athlete
- Virginia’s highest court upholds weapons ban at gun rally
- Carolina drops OT decision to Anaheim for 3rd straight loss
- Cary bicyclist wants to thank others who helped when he fell and broke hip
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now