RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Carolina Hurricanes forward Jordan Martinook will miss six to eight weeks after he undergoes surgery Friday to repair a core muscle, according to an announcement from the team.
Martinook was named an alternate captain prior to Carolina’s preseason finale. He finished last season with a career-best 15 goals in 82 games. He also had four assists in 10 playoff games as the Hurricanes made it to the Eastern Conference Final.
The 6-foot-1, 204-pound forward was traded to Carolina on May 3, 2018.
In light of the injury, the ‘Canes recalled Julien Gauthier on Wednesday. The 6-foot-4, 226-pound power forward had 41 points in 75 AHL games last season, helping the Charlotte Checkers to a championship. He impressed in the preseason and has two goals in two games with the Checkers this season.
The Hurricanes will host the New York Islanders Friday at 7:30 p.m.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- A month later, Durham police still investigating threat of violence at private school
- Cape Fear Valley Medical Center working on fix after victims billed as much as $5,000 for rape kits
- Police: Drunk driver runs red light, kills woman in Florida crash
- Dog attack leads to arrest of SC man on animal fighting, cruelty charges
- Suspect who killed Canadian military member in Florida sentenced to prison