RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) -The Carolina Hurricanes will host an outdoor game at Carter-Finley Stadium in 2021, a North Carolina State University source told CBS 17 Saturday.
An opponent and a date have not yet been determined.
If the deal is signed off on by NCSU officials, the game could be announced Saturday night’s Stadium Series game in Colorado, sources said.
The NHL’s first outdoor regular-season game was in 2003. The Montreal Canadiens defeated the Edmonton Oilers in the Heritage Classic. On Jan. 1, 2008, the NHL began an annual Winter Classic outdoor game. The league added Stadium Series outdoor games in 2014.
The Hurricanes host the Oilers Sunday at 4 p.m. Going into Saturday, the ‘Canes were two points back of the Columbus Blue Jackets for the final wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference, but had played two fewer games.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 31 people tested in COVID-19 outbreak at Clayton nursing home; some workers walked out last week
- ‘I’ve got to be there for them,’ says Raleigh hospice certified nursing assistant
- ‘Memories are everything’: Cleveland product Caiden Norman treasures role with ECU despite limited playing chances
- 1-year-old shot in head in NC town, police say
- Duke law student recovers from coronavirus, wants others to learn from his experience
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now