RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Justin Williams returned to the lineup and scored in the shootout to lift the Carolina Hurricanes over the New York Islanders 2-1.
James Reimer stopped six shots in the tiebreaker for Carolina, the last against Anders Lee to lock up the win.
Andrei Svechnikov and Teuvo Teravainen also scored in the shootout for the Hurricanes. Svechnikov had a goal in the first period.
The Hurricanes ended a three-game skid thanks to Williams, the 38-year-old who took an extended break after leading Carolina to last year’s Eastern Conference final.
He scored in the eighth round of the shootout.
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Virginia rocket launch may be visible for most of East Coast and as far west as Ohio
- NC reports record highs in daily deaths, total hospitalizations due to COVID-19
- North Carolina community colleges to train law enforcement officers on impartial policing
- Fight over wearing mask leads to fatal police shooting, state police say
- Get started in your new career with an apprenticeship
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now