RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Justin Williams returned to the lineup and scored in the shootout to lift the Carolina Hurricanes over the New York Islanders 2-1.
James Reimer stopped six shots in the tiebreaker for Carolina, the last against Anders Lee to lock up the win.
Andrei Svechnikov and Teuvo Teravainen also scored in the shootout for the Hurricanes. Svechnikov had a goal in the first period.
The Hurricanes ended a three-game skid thanks to Williams, the 38-year-old who took an extended break after leading Carolina to last year’s Eastern Conference final.
He scored in the eighth round of the shootout.
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Marine veteran holds plank for over 8 hours, setting Guinness World Record
- Garner woman beat her husband to death with a baseball bat, police say
- WATCH: NASA gives 3D view of Apollo 13 moon
- YouTuber faked an exotic vacation in Bali with pictures taken at a nearby Ikea
- Woman gets pinned at drive-thru lane of Virginia bank, sustains life-threatening injuries
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now