CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WNCN) — Carolina Panthers quarterback was absent from Wednesday’s practice as the team prepares for their road matchup against the Arizona Cardinals.
Wednesday marks the second day in a row that Newton was not present. Head coach Ron Rivera says Newton is dealing with a foot injury that has bothered him since the team’s third preseason game.
Rivera says that although Cam isn’t practicing, he’s still going through team meetings and other activities.
It is unclear whether Newton will make the trip to Arizona for a pivotal early-season matchup vs. the Cardinals. A loss would knock them to 0-3 on the year.
Dating back to 1980, 176 teams have started 0-3. Only six have made the playoffs.
If Newton does miss this game, backup Kyle Allen will get the start.
He and Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray once battled for the starting job at Texas A&M.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- CVS to open 55 new self-swab COVID-19 drive-thru testing sites across NC
- CBS 17 Job Alert – Orange County bus drivers, Robeson County detention officers needed
- Woman tells police she ‘has COVID-19,’ spits at officer to ‘infect him so he dies’
- PETA: 20 NC PetSmart stores caught violating state animal welfare regulations
- NC man arrested in Mass. for child sex assaults that occurred over 10-year span
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now