CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) – The Carolina Panthers have selected star quarterback Cam Newton as their nominee for the 2019 Walter Payton Man of the Year award.
While Newton’s season was cut short by injury, his commitment to helping out the community where he plays as well as his hometown of Atlanta have made a significant impact on both cities.
Newton’s charitable efforts follow the mantra that EVERY 1 MATTERS and emphasize youth activity, diversity, community outreach and education.
Since inception, the foundation has provided $5.13 million in grant funding, year-round programming resources and donations to schools and non-profit agencies in Atlanta and Charlotte.
The Walter Payton Man of the Year award is named annually for a player’s volunteer and charity work, as well as his excellence on the field.
- SC senator urges HHS to report on racial disparities in COVID-19 pandemic
- Harris Teeter now limiting number of customers allowed inside amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Bernie Sanders ends presidential campaign after disappointing primary results
- Free and low cost internet service for N.C residents
- Feds seize 100 unauthorized COVID-19 test kits shipped to Oregon man
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now