CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WNCN/AP) – Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton didn’t practice with the team Tuesday, the team announced.
NFL.com reported Newton aggravated a foot injury and his status for the Panthers game Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals is unknown.
Newton went 25 of 51 for 333 passing yards in a 20-14 loss last Thursday to the Tamps Bay Buccaneers.
Tuesday’s practice was the start to the team’s preparations for Sunday’s game at Arizona.
Newton injured his foot during a preseason game against the New England Patriots. He is also coming off shoulder surgery in the offseason.
The Panthers have lost nine of the last 10 regular-season games.
Ron Rivera said he found out about Cam Newton after the game.
He said Newton’s foot is sore and does not know his status moving forward.
Kyle Allen would start if Newton can’t play, Rivera said.
- Black and Blue Kickoff Live: Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey expected to miss game against Minnesota Vikings
- Defense shines as Panthers blank Lions, 20-0, and snap 5-game skid
- Watch Live: Lions vs. Panthers (1 pm, Fox 46)
- Black and Blue Kickoff Live: Panthers say McCaffrey not expected to play against Lions
- Bridgewater injured as Panthers drop 5th straight, losing to Tampa Bay, 46-23