CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WGHP) — Kyle Allen will start at quarterback Sunday when the Carolina Panthers face off against the Tennessee Titans, according to Panthers coach Ron Rivera.
Cam Newton is currently “in the middle of his rehab,” Rivera said.
Allen was 5-0 as a starting quarterback until last Sunday’s game with the San Francisco 49ers where the Panthers lost 51-13.
“Cam is going to continue his rehab,” Rivera said. “…we’re not putting any pressure on Cam. He’s done a great job doing the things that we’ve asked of him. He’s gone above and beyond in terms of working with our quarterbacks and helping them along the way. He’s just going to continue to do his program.”
Newton is still recovering from a Lisfranc injury, which is a foot-related problem that causes the ligaments in the mid-foot to break and make the joints unstable.
“I was hiding an injury where I could have easily said, ’You know what, coach, I don’t think I’m ready. Maybe I need to kind of consider sitting this one out…” Newton said.
He isn’t sure how long he’ll be away from the game to recover.
The Panthers are now 4-3 on the season.
The next game is against the Tennessee Titans Sunday, Nov. 3 at 1:00 p.m.
- Grateful mom thanks NC police captain who saved choking baby at restaurant
- Fayetteville police announce arrests in break-ins, vandalism following protests
- Biden formally clinches Democratic presidential nomination
- Not long after partially reopening, Raleigh restaurants now being held back by curfews, owners say
- Raleigh restaurants surprise NC National troops at Cameron Village with free dinner
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now