CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WNCN) — The Carolina Panthers will be without star quarterback Cam Newton on Sunday, according to head coach Ron Rivera.
Backup Kyle Allen is set to get the start with rookie Will Grier serving as his backup.
Leading up to the Panthers matchup against the Arizona Cardinals, Newton had been hampered by a foot injury he suffered in the preseason. The injury kept him out of practice for most of the week.
On Thursday, Rivera became annoyed with questions surrounding the quarterback’s game status, so much that he walked out of the press conference.
Allen will get to face off against former college teammate Kyler Murray on Sunday. The two battled it out for the starting job at Texas A&M once upon a time.
The Panthers travel to Arizona to take on the Cardinals Sunday. Kickoff is set for 4:05 p.m. EST.
- Gun thieves shot at Fayetteville police as officers responded to pawnshop break-in, official says
- It’s official, Robert E. Lee statue in Virginia to be removed ‘as soon as possible’
- Kanye West donates $2M, pays college tuition for George Floyd’s daughter
- Work closes I-440 west at Lake Boone Trail overnight, NCDOT says
- Raleigh barbershop owner wants to thank men who stopped looter from destroying his business
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now