WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) – Tomas Woldetensae scored a career-high 21 points and Virginia got a final-play defensive stop to beat Wake Forest 65-63 in overtime on Sunday.
Woldetensae scored all his points on seven 3-pointers, including the go-ahead 3 with 3:55 left in overtime.
Wake Forest had a final possession to tie, calling timeout with the ball with 8.2 seconds left. But Olivier Sarr tried a desperation contested drive and failed to even get off a tying shot off before the buzzer to end it.
Andrien White scored 21 points to lead the Demon Deacons.
Wake Forest was playing without their injured top scorer Brandon Childress.
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- All Florida school districts must reopen campuses next month, Dept. of Education says
- Chicago man who fired gun into murder victim’s grave given 15-year sentence
- Beats by Dre announces Bubba Wallace endorsement deal: ‘Hate cannot win the day’
- Wilson 12-year-old’s car seat invention helps prevent babies from dying in hot cars
- Young girl among Chicago’s July Fourth weekend of 17 killed, 70 wounded
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now