WASHINGTON — The recent national debate over racism has renewed calls for the NFL’s Washington Redskins to change their name.
Mayor Muriel Bowser believes a change is overdue and called the name an “obstacle” to the team building its next stadium and headquarters inside the District of Columbia.
A recent study found that 49% of respondents considered the name Redskins offensive.
The team had no comment about a possible name change.
Owner Dan Snyder over the years has shown no indication that he’d change the name.
Advocates call the name a dictionary-defined racial slur and hope this is the movement that finally invokes change.
- Travelers at RDU speak out as face masks now required at airports, on planes
- Serial sex offender arrested in Asheville kidnappings, sexual assaults, police say
- FBI: 33 missing children, including some who were sexually exploited, found in California operation
- 1 killed after Las Vegas-based bus rolls over near Grand Canyon, 44 transported to medical center
- Wake County leaders address COVID-19 vaccine rollout during town hall