DURHAM, N.C. (AP) – Freshman Jalen Johnson had 19 points, 19 rebounds and four blocks to help No. 9 Duke overcome a turnover-filled performance and beat Coppin State 81-71 in the delayed season opener for both teams.
Fellow rookie DJ Steward scored 24 points for the Blue Devils, including a key 3-pointer with 2:02 left.
Duke was playing without its rowdy fans in the famously hostile Cameron Indoor Stadium due to the coronavirus pandemic.
DeJuan Clayton and Anthony Tarke each scored 22 points for the Eagles, who made 10 3-pointers and scored 28 points off turnovers.
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.)
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Real estate agent who took private jet to D.C. is charged in Capitol riot; has self-help book canceled
- Cabarrus County school board member says she’s being harassed over decision to reopen schools
- 5 months after Colonial Pipeline gas leak, Huntersville neighbors discover clean-up could take years
- 12 years later: NC survivor of ‘Miracle on Hudson’ recalls terrifying moments – ‘I said my goodbyes’
- Shooting reported in Wake County near Wake Forest