RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Michael Vick is going back to the NFL Pro Bowl, this time as one of four NFL Legends Pro Bowl Captains.
A Change.org petition is calling on the NFL to revoke the honor. Over 550,000 people have signed the petition.
Despite the petition, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says Vick “paid a heavy price” and doesn’t anticipate any changes.
The petition cites the cruel and inhumane killing of dogs that led to Vick’s conviction.
“Over the last, what is it, nine years or so, we have supported Michael in his, what I think his recognition of the mistake he made,” said Goodell. “He’s paid a heavy price for that. He’s been accountable for it. He’s worked aggressively with the humane society and other institutions to deal with animal rights and to make sure people don’t make the same mistake he made, and I admire that.”
Other petitions have also surfaced online since the initial one.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Search of lake for missing “Glee” star Naya Rivera to resume Sunday
- Police execute search warrant at mansion of gun-toting couple
- Black Lives Matter activists to be charged after blocking traffic in Virginia, police say
- 1,000+ activists gather in Graham’s town square, call for removal of Confederate statue
- COVID-19 safety measures implemented at NC youth baseball games
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now