RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina State will start redshirt freshman Devin Leary at quarterback t No. 23 Wake Forest.
Saturday’s game will be Leary’s first start for the Wolfpack (4-3, 1-2 Atlantic Coast Conference), making him the first redshirt freshman to start at QB for N.C. State since current Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson did it in 2010.
The position has yet to provide the consistency sought by coach Dave Doeren after losing three-year starter Ryan Finley. Matthew McKay started the first five games followed by Bailey Hockman for two.
Leary got his first extended work in the Oct. 19 loss at Boston College. He completed 15 of 33 passes for 259 yards and three touchdowns in the 45-24 loss. Doeren said Monday that Leary got first-team reps through the team’s open week.
- Man charged after NC homeowner foils break-in; suspect also accused of stealing car with kid inside
- NC man pleads guilty in young woman’s fentanyl-related death
- Man who killed NC woman in stabbing is held without bond, deputies say
- Teen shooter in birthday attack dies after 2 classmates killed, 3 wounded, police say
- New plans allows patients to see medical prices before treatment, Trump says
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now