RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Athletic director and track coach George Williams has been fired after more than 40 years at St. Augustine’s University.
Williams confirmed his termination to CBS 17’s Chris Clark on Wednesday.
On Thursday, the school tweeted a statement concerning Williams’ departure, saying the school had been in talks with him since March about a new position.
Williams declined the offer.
According to his bio on the St. Aug’s website, Williams has the third-most titles of any NCAA coach.
St. Augustine’s won 39 NCAA Division II national track and field championships and 33 national runner-up finishes under Williams.
He graduated from St. Aug’s in 1965.
This story will be updated.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Wake Forest teen battling colon cancer ‘thankful’ for support and spending holiday with family
- Thousands travel through RDU over Thanksgiving, but numbers plummet from last year
- 1 wounded after shots fired into car along Glenwood Avenue in North Raleigh
- NC mall closes early due to ‘disturbance’
- 1 dead, 2 more wounded in shooting at Duplin County party