RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Leesville Road had an answer for everything Wakefield brought Friday night in a 37-6 win at home to kickstart the season.
Wakefield, to its credit, gave the Pride a fight. Trailing 14-0, Nemiah Jones found himself in the right place at the right time when he nabbed a tipped pass and took off for the end zone.
That cut the home side’s lead to 14-6, but Leesville Road responded quickly. Signal caller Trey Baker hit Noah Burnette on a slant route and he broke loose for the touchdown.
The Pride lit up the Wolverines for 23 unanswered points after Jones’ score.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Suspects in Fuquay-Varina Sheetz shooting also charged in earlier car break-ins
- Former NC firefighter accused of secretly recording teen girl in bathroom
- Texas School for the Deaf wins new football equipment, message from Peyton Manning
- American cancer survivor swims across English Channel 4 times in a row to set new world record
- Deputies: Couple had sex in patrol car after arrest
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now