RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – North Carolina high school football teams are gearing up for their respective state-championship games this weekend. There were 16 teams represented at media day Monday at North Carolina State University.
Leesville Road (13-0) will play Zebulon B. Vance (12-2) Saturday at UNC in the 4-AA state championship. That is set to kick off at 3 p.m.
“We came back Friday night and there were fireworks and everybody was there celebrating. They’re just excited about this opportunity. Not just our kids, but everyone is surrounding our team. It’s a community, it definitely is,” said Pride head coach Ben Kolstad.
Cardinal Gibbons (12-2) will also represent Raleigh at UNC. The Crusaders play East Forsyth (12-2) Saturday at 11 a.m.
“We felt like we had a number of teams over the past few years that could get to this point, and for a variety of reasons haven’t been able to quite breakthrough. And to finally be here is really exciting. We’re excited for the school community, and obviously certainly for our players and families,” said Crusaders head coach Steven Wright.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Search of lake for missing “Glee” star Naya Rivera to resume Sunday
- Police execute search warrant at mansion of gun-toting couple
- Black Lives Matter activists to be charged after blocking traffic in Virginia, police say
- 1,000+ activists gather in Graham’s town square, call for removal of Confederate statue
- COVID-19 safety measures implemented at NC youth baseball games
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now