WAKE FOREST, N.C. (WNCN) – Wallace-Rose Hill made the trek from Duplin County to test itself against one of the state’s elite in Wake Forest. The Bulldogs, who compete in the 2-A classification, stood up to the challenge, but the reigning 4-A champions were too much to handle as the Cougars picked up a 42-28 win.
Wake Forest got the ball rolling in a high-scoring first half when Noah Douglas hit Khalil Watson on a slant route for a touchdown. Maquel Haywood later pounded in a short touchdown.
Douglas later scooted in for a touchdown of his own.
Wake Forest took a 28-21 lead into halftime and shutout the visitors in the fourth quarter to put the game to bed.
Wake Forest now looks toward its conference opener against a Knightdale team that just had its unbeaten start halted.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NC State to allow football players’ parents at Wake Forest game
- Sports photographer’s Big Ten Zoom spoof goes viral
- Southern Pines police officer tests positive for COVID-19, department says
- Border agent charged with violating woman’s civil rights by forbidding cellphone recording of arrest
- Tillis or Cunningham: Which candidate is receiving more search traffic?
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now