WAKE FOREST, N.C. (WNCN) – Wallace-Rose Hill made the trek from Duplin County to test itself against one of the state’s elite in Wake Forest. The Bulldogs, who compete in the 2-A classification, stood up to the challenge, but the reigning 4-A champions were too much to handle as the Cougars picked up a 42-28 win.
Wake Forest got the ball rolling in a high-scoring first half when Noah Douglas hit Khalil Watson on a slant route for a touchdown. Maquel Haywood later pounded in a short touchdown.
Douglas later scooted in for a touchdown of his own.
Wake Forest took a 28-21 lead into halftime and shutout the visitors in the fourth quarter to put the game to bed.
Wake Forest now looks toward its conference opener against a Knightdale team that just had its unbeaten start halted.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Durham residents upset after dozens of newly planted trees removed at city’s request
- Purse lost in 1957 found behind school locker 62 years later
- Officer escorts 8-year-old girl to father-daughter dance after her dad’s death
- NC Rep. Linda Johnson passes away
- Svechnikov, Niederreiter help Hurricanes beat Predators 4-1
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now