CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina’s men’s basketball team is returning to its old home court for one game.
Team spokesman Steve Kirschner said Thursday that the Tar Heels’ game against Wofford on Dec. 15 will be played at the 6,822-seat Carmichael Arena — the first regular-season game there since 1986.
The game had to be played that day because of scheduling conflicts that include the Tar Heels leaving the next day for a game at Gonzaga. North Carolina’s regular home arena, the 21,750-seat Dean Smith Center, already was booked for the university’s December commencement.
The arena where Michael Jordan and James Worthy became college stars, Carmichael has hosted one men’s game since the Smith Center opened in 1986. UNC beat William & Mary in the first round of the 2010 NIT.
- CBS 17 Job Alert – Virtual job fair Thursday, Home Depot looking to hire
- CVS to open 55 new self-swab COVID-19 drive-thru testing sites across NC
- CBS 17 Job Alert – Orange County bus drivers, Robeson County detention officers needed
- Woman tells police she ‘has COVID-19,’ spits at officer to ‘infect him so he dies’
- PETA: 20 NC PetSmart stores caught violating state animal welfare regulations
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now