CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) – Jose Alvarado had 25 points and Georgia Tech took advantage of North Carolina’s horrid first-half shooting to build a big lead and stay in control for a 96-83 road win on Saturday night.
The loss kept UNC head coach Roy Williams from getting win No. 880 and surpassing his mentor Dean Smith in all-time wins.
Moses Wright added 22 points for the Yellow Jackets, who shot 59 percent and kept hitting shots to answer multiple comeback attempts by the Tar Heels after halftime.
North Carolina misfired from all over the court from the opening tip, missing its first 15 shots and falling behind 27-4.
Garrison Brooks had a career-high 35 points to go with 11 rebounds for the Tar Heels.
On Monday night, Williams tied Smith on the all-time wins list as UNC edged Yale 70-67.
Williams is tied at fourth on the list of most wins in Division I men’s basketball history.
Williams worked as an assistant for Smith at North Carolina for 10 seasons from 1978-88.
- At least five displaced, one injured in Durham boarding house fire
- Track coach remembers NC teen killed in hit-and-run as star athlete
- Virginia’s highest court upholds weapons ban at gun rally
- Carolina drops OT decision to Anaheim for 3rd straight loss
- Cary bicyclist wants to thank others who helped when he fell and broke hip
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now