CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) – Sam Howell threw for program records of 550 yards and six touchdowns to help North Carolina rally past Wake Forest 59-53.
The Tar Heels trailed by 21 points with about seven minutes left in the third quarter before running off 35 unanswered points.
Howell scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 20-yard keeper with 4:11 left. UNC matched its biggest comeback in a win and finished with a program-record 742 total yards.
Sam Hartman threw for 429 yards and four touchdowns for Wake Forest.
The Demon Deacons had won four straight games and finished with 606 total yards.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Wake Forest offering service for Santa Claus to call children
- 3-day ticket blitz, 130 $100 citations for going maskless
- Group hosts celebration of life for Evelyn Boswell, whose mom is charged in her death
- Airlines hope proven cleaning techniques will bring passengers back to flying
- Possibly impaired driver smashes car into Raleigh flower shop, police say