CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WNCN) – UNC men’s head basketball coach Roy Williams and his wife, Wanda, donated more than $600,000 to help spring sports seniors whose seasons were ended by the COVID-19 pandemic, the school’s athletic department announced Thursday.
Roy and Wanda Williams originally asked to keep the donation anonymous but recently allowed it to be known.
UNC Director of Athletics Bubba Cunningham said Roy Williams called him in March the day the NCAA canceled spring sports to see what he could do to help.
“He didn’t want those students to miss that experience and wanted to fund those scholarships for next year,” Cuningham said. “I still get chills when I think about his phone call and the impact it would have for dozens of our students.”
The funds will go to help those seniors who have the ability to return to campus to compete in 2020-21.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Happy 90th birthday Neil Armstrong
- For 2nd time this week, multiple homes in Ocean Isle Beach go up in flames
- Storm-tattered Frying Pan Tower flag being auctioned off to support places hardest hit by Hurricane Isaias
- Triangle gym owners react to remaining in Phase 2 and closed
- 8-year-old shot accidentally in Rocky Mount, police say