ANNAPOLIS, MD (WNCN) – North Carolina capped off Mack Brown’s first season back in Chapel Hill with a dominating bowl victory over Temple, 55-13.
A sluggish first half was followed by the Tar Heels steamrolling the Owls in the Military Bowl in Annapolis, Maryland.
UNC nearly doubled the Owls’ total yardage – 534 to 272.
The Heels amassed 238 yards on the ground with Javonte Williams grinding out 85 of those and Michael Carter carrying the ball 18 times for 84 yards.
Quarterback Sam Howell completed 25 of 34 passes for 296 yards and three touchdowns.
North Carolina’s defense held Temple to just 76 rushing and 194 passing yards and just 15 first downs.
UNC moved the chains 34 times.
The Owls used two quarterbacks, Anthony Russo and Todd Centeio, but the Temple offense could never get going.
North Carolina finishes the season 7-6 (4-4).
North Carolina decimated rival N.C. State 41-10 in their regular-season finale to become bowl eligible.
- Two displaced after Durham apartment fire
- At least five displaced, one injured in Durham boarding house fire
- Track coach remembers NC teen killed in hit-and-run as star athlete
- Virginia’s highest court upholds weapons ban at gun rally
- Carolina drops OT decision to Anaheim for 3rd straight loss
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now