CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) – Wofford traveled to Chapel Hill and shocked a ranked North Carolina team again.
The Terriers got 19 points from Trevor Stumpe and rode a 16-0 run in the second half to a 68-64 win over 17th-ranked UNC, which was missing two key players to injuries.
Storm Murphy added 15 points and Messiah Jones had 13 points for the Terriers. Wofford went on the road to beat North Carolina for the second time in three years.
The Terriers were 12-point underdogs. Tar Heels dropped their third straight game and are 6-4 overall.
Wofford made four 3-pointers during their decisive spurt, a 6-minute stretch in which the Tar Heels missed 10 consecutive shots.
UNC freshman point guard Cole Anthony is out indefinitely due to a right knee injury and did not play Sunday against Wofford.
The school announced Anthony was out for the game along with sophomore Leaky Black. Treatment plans are being evaluated for Anthony.
He is the second-leading scorer among freshmen nationally, averaging 19.1 points. Black has been a starter along with the top backup at the point behind Anthony. He’s been dealing with a foot sprain.
- American honey may contain traces of nuclear fallout from 50s and 60s, study says
- LeBron James deletes tweet targeting police officer who fatally shot 16-year-old Ma’Khia Bryant
- Obama urges Black Americans to ‘keep marching, keep speaking up, keep voting’
- Advocates push NC lawmakers to pass act that allows patients in long-term care at least 1 visitor
- What’s behind the push for a fourth stimulus check