PARIS, Ill. (WTWO/WAWV) – A man is behind bars in Edgar County in connection to a death investigation that began in July.
On Thursday, the Paris Police Department arrested 28-year-old Spencer Haley.
Haley is being charged with inducement to commit suicide, obstructing justice, and possession of meth.
The charges stem from the suicide death of a 21-year-old woman.
A detective with the Paris Police Department said the charge of inducement to commit suicide is rare.
“We don’t have many death investigations, but among those this is certainly a first for me in my career. I think as far as the rest of the department is concerned, it’s one of the first times we’ve encountered a case as particular as this,” said Det. Jesse Lewsader.
The investigation is being handled by the Paris Police Department and Edgar County Coroner’s Office.
Haley is being held at the Edgar County Jail on $25,000 bond.
If you or someone you know needs to speak with someone at the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, they can be reached at 1-800-273-8255 or by clicking here.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NCDPI launches statewide K-12 job board
- Turtle dies after smashing through driver’s windshield in Georgia
- Homeless man accused of attacking, killing 94-year-old man in San Francisco
- Youth baseball beginning to resume across central North Carolina
- College student wanted in 2 Connecticut slayings is captured in Maryland
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now