PARIS, Ill. (WTWO/WAWV) – A man is behind bars in Edgar County in connection to a death investigation that began in July.
On Thursday, the Paris Police Department arrested 28-year-old Spencer Haley.
Haley is being charged with inducement to commit suicide, obstructing justice, and possession of meth.
The charges stem from the suicide death of a 21-year-old woman.
A detective with the Paris Police Department said the charge of inducement to commit suicide is rare.
“We don’t have many death investigations, but among those this is certainly a first for me in my career. I think as far as the rest of the department is concerned, it’s one of the first times we’ve encountered a case as particular as this,” said Det. Jesse Lewsader.
The investigation is being handled by the Paris Police Department and Edgar County Coroner’s Office.
Haley is being held at the Edgar County Jail on $25,000 bond.
If you or someone you know needs to speak with someone at the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, they can be reached at 1-800-273-8255 or by clicking here.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- White House reaches ceasefire agreement with Turkey while lawmakers on Capitol Hill weigh sanctions bill
- Fayetteville teen at center of Amber Alert found safe
- Mark Zuckerberg says Facebook might have prevented Iraq invasion in 2003
- Advocates fear mass suicide at ICE facility in Southern NM
- Outrage over federal agencies’ biofuel mandates
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now