WAKE FOREST, N.C. (WNCN) - Wake Forest publics works crews spent Wednesday clearing out storm drains. They also sent out a list of streets prone to flooding and urged drivers to approach cautiously.
The City of Raleigh also prepared. It lowered water levels at several lakes, saying that would give the rain a place to go and hopefully prevent flooding.
"Women can do it too,” said Glenda Scott, the co-owner of Yard Boys/Yard Girls.
Scott and her husband, Victor, started the tree removal company and yard clean up service back in 2012.
"We haven't finished from the last storm. So we're still working through what happened during Florence. Even though we just got a little wind and rain, we still had trees down,” Glenda Scott said.
"They are happy to see us. This morning, they gave me a hug. I don't get that very often,” Victor Scott added.
The Scotts said they normally handle about 18 calls a day. That number almost doubled on Wednesday.
Kristine Fiala kept a close eye as Michael pounded the Florida Panhandle.
"My aunt's family lives in the Panama City area. She still hasn't been able to get ahold of her mother or sister, so they're definitely concerned,” Fiala said.
According to the town, the following Wake Forest-area streets are subject to flooding and should be approached cautiously during significant rainfall events:
- Durham Road/NC-98, Richland Creek
- East Juniper Avenue near North Allen Road
- East Juniper Avenue near North White Street
- Forestville Road, Toms Creek
- Forestville Road, Sanford Creek
- Harris Road, Richland Creek
- Heritage Heights Lane, 1300 Block
- Jenkins Road, Horse Creek
- Ligon Mill Road, Smith Creek
- Ligon Mill Road, Toms Creek
- North Main Street, Walnut Avenue to Cedar Avenue
- North White Street, Juniper Street to Flaherty Avenue
- Oak Grove Church Road, Dunn Creek
- Purnell Road at Jackson Road, Horse Creek
- Purnell Road, Mud Branch
- Rogers Road, Sanford Creek
- Rogers Road, Smith Creek
- West Oak Avenue, Richland Creek
- Wait Avenue, Dunn Creek
- Wall Road, Wallridge Drive to Harris Road
- Watkins Farm Road at Young Street