WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) – Wilmington fire crews responded to a fire Saturday afternoon on Masonboro Sound Road.
Assistant Chief Thomas Robinson with the Wilmington Fire Department confirms the home’s chimney was struck by lightning, resulting in a fire in the wall and under the floor.
Firefighters fought the blaze on multiple levels of the house and had to tear into floors and walls to fully extinguish the flames.
Units arrived just two minutes after the 911 call was received.
New Hanover County crews were called to assist and EMS was called to the scene as a precaution.
No injuries have been reported.
Wilmington fire wasn’t the only department to respond to lightning-related calls Saturday. Southport fire responded to a call about a boat being struck by lightning and also assisted St. James Fire Department with a house fire from lightning.
- Police: 9-year-old shot, killed in Durham; 8-year-old wounded
- Florida man who allegedly said he wants to set record and kill 100 people in mass shooting is arrested
- Four Loko teases new seltzer with nearly triple the alcohol content of its competitors
- Man finds 50-year-old message in a bottle from Russian Navy on Alaskan shore
- Expert: These car seats sold online are ‘not safe at all’
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now