CASWELL BEACH, N.C. (WECT) – The National Weather Service has confirmed that a tornado touched down briefly Monday in Brunswick County.
Several viewers reported seeing a waterspout near Caswell Beach just before 3 p.m.
“A waterspout developed just off the coast of Caswell Beach and tracked west-northwest,” the National Weather Service stated Tuesday. “It moved onshore nearly parallel to the beach, between the Oak Island Gold Club and the Caswell Beach public beach access.
“A beach umbrella was lofted across Caswell Beach Road before the funnel lifted,” weather officials said.
The estimated maximum wind speed was 65 miles per hour.
No injuries were reported.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Durham City Council accepting applications to fill Ward 3 vacancy
- Tuesday Fur-cast | August 11
- Russia registers coronavirus vaccine, Putin says one of his daughters has been inoculated
- Scuffles erupt outside California church holding indoor service without masks, despite judge’s ban
- Family now seeks justice after Wilson boy killed, man captured