100 words or less for the weather summary? Challenge accepted.
Hot again today.
But not as humid!
The humidity will be “tolerable” through midday Thursday:
Near-normal low temperatures tonight:
Hot again by Wednesday afternoon, still not too muggy:
Even hotter Thursday and Friday, with an isolated storm chance Friday afternoon:Not much of a storm chance this weekend, so don’t adjust any outdoor plans…just be ready to deal with the heat and humidity.
73 words. DONE.
- A heat wave could torch June records across Western Europe this week. The long-duration, early-season heat will pose a public health hazard as well.
- The National Hurricane Center gives a disturbance in the eastern Pacific Ocean a 70 percent chance of developing into a tropical depression or a tropical storm this week.
- Dust from Africa will set off spectacular sunsets along the Gulf Coast this week, while also quelling Atlantic hurricane activity.
- The $6 billion battle over the future of weather forecasting.
- Extreme weather caused by climate change is undermining the reliability of hydroelectric dams.
- A 1000-foot-wide asteroid will zip by Earth on Thursday…not close, but in the cosmic neighborhood.
- Apollo wasn’t just a scientific hurdle for NASA: the space agency understood early on that persuading taxpayers to pour billions of dollars into space exploration would take some slick salesmanship.
- NASA’s Curiosity rover has measured the highest level of methane gas ever found in the atmosphere at Mars’ surface — an exciting hint that could point to signs of life.
- Historical nerdery: Napoleon’s defeat at Waterloo was helped by the most powerful volcanic eruption in modern history.
- Gray whales are dying in large numbers in the Pacific Ocean, and scientists are scrambling to figure out why.
- No, looking at your phone won’t cause to you grow a horn (or multiple horns). But your phone can can still mess up your body! Here’s a look at how to avoid that.
- Measles cases are up in the U.S., but that doesn’t necessarily mean U.S. vaccine refusal is up.
- Taking a “brain health” supplement? You can stop that.
- What in the world is an “adventure cat“?
- A boy who was expected to be paralyzed from the waist down is chasing a dog around the house…but that’s not the most remarkable thing about his story. He had spinal surgery BEFORE he was born.